Healthy Eating and Well-being
- Youths will debate the various benefits and possible limitations of Canada’s Food Guide.
- Children will examine the influences of media on personal food and drink choices.
- Youths will examine food options available at local fast food restaurants and give one unhealthy meal a healthy make over.
- Children will examine internal and external influences on their personal food and drink choices.
- Youths will respond to scenarios relating to the themes of body image and healthy eating choices.
- Children will examine personal food preferences and explore partnerships available within their community.
Substance Use and Well-being
- Youth will examine personal and societal effects of substance use and misuse, addictions, and related behaviours.
- Children will use critical and creative thinking skills to describe the short- and long-term effects of substance use.
- Youths will examine media messaging used by the alcohol and tobacco industries.
- Children will use critical and creative thinking as they identify healthy alternatives for dealing with stress.
- Children will demonstrate their understanding of the decision-making model as they make healthy choices.
- Youths will identify and describe the warning signs of substance use and misuse, and use critical thinking skills when responding to scenarios on the appropriate actions to take to ensure their personal health and well-being.
- Youths will identify and describe the warning signs of substance use and misuse, addictions, and related behaviours and use communication skills while debating topics related to substance use.
- Children will demonstrate their understanding of identifying people and community resources that can help with substance use situations.