Students explore factors that can influence how and why they make (financial) decisions and how those decisions can have an impact on their well-being.
I can show awareness of factors that influence decisions by justifying choices after analyzing and evaluating options.
Idea Web (see attachments)
Scenario Cards (see attachments)
STAAR Decision Model (see attachments)
Decisions! Take-Home Activity (see attachments)
Factors (influence on decisions)
Short and long-term impacts of decisions
- Teacher puts up Idea Web with a few examples of decisions students may need to make in the present or in the future. Students do a Think-Pair-Share to add more examples.
- Teacher has groups brainstorm strategies they have used to make decisions in the past.
- Teacher leads brief sharing session.
- Teacher introduces Decision Model with common factors that influence decisions. Students are divided into small groups and get 1-2 Scenario Cards. They must work through the STAAR Decision Model taking into consideration the factors that could have influenced their decision in the end.
- Groups repeat the process with one of the situations discussed in the Minds On.
- Groups present the decisions they made, justifying choices by explaining influencing factors.
- Teacher leads class discussion as students analyze, evaluate and provide peer feedback.
- Students complete a journal entry about the decision-making experience.
- How do you think making personal and financial decisions using this process could impact situations/problems in the present or future?
- Can you think of any other factors that have influenced your personal and financial decisions in the past?
- Decisions! Take-Home Activity (see attachments)