Asthma Education Initiative
Ophea's Asthma Education Initiative includes free resources designed to increase the skills and knowledge of educators, instructors and coaches about asthma management in schools and various children and youth focused environments.
Asthma resources include Kits tailored to children and youth focused settings. Developed in partnership with the Ontario Lung Association they include the following:
- Creating Asthma Friendly Schools Essentials Kit (principals and educators)
- Creating Asthma Friendly Schools Community Awareness Kit (educators, parents, and students)
- Creating Asthma Friendly Child Care Centres Kit
- After-School, Sport and Recreation Settings Asthma Kit
Resources also include training supports:
- Implementing Ryan's Law: Ensuring Asthma Friendly Schools e-Learning module. This module is designed to support school staff in understanding and applying Ryan’s Law in their school to ensure the safety and well-being of students with asthma. It also supports the implementation of PPM 161: Supporting Children and Students with Prevalent Medical Conditions (Anaphylaxis, Asthma, Diabetes, and/or Epilepsy) in Schools related to students with asthma
- Managing Asthma in Our Schools video and Viewer Guide
In addition, resources include the following (*electronic and limited hard copy versions available):
- Management of Asthma at School Tip Sheets for all members of the school community (administrators, teachers, students, parents/guardians) to create and support asthma friendly schools
- Creating Asthma Friendly Schools manual
- Creating Asthma Friendly Environments for Children and Youth manual
- Creating Asthma Friendly Child Care Centres manual
- Asthma in Schools: What Educators Need to Know brochure
- Asthma and Physical Activity: What Physical Educators and Coaches need to Know brochure
- The Basics of Asthma, Allergies, and Anaphylaxis Fact Sheet (available in 2 sizes)
The resources from the Asthma Education Initiative are also available in French as Éducation sur l'asthme.
For additional resources and supports to increase the awareness and knowledge of educators regarding asthma management in schools, visit www.asthmafriendly.ca.
Ophea's Asthma Education Initiative is funded by the Government of Ontario in support of the Ontario Asthma Plan.
Partners: Asthma Society and Lung Association - Ontario