Asthma Education Initiative
Ophea's Asthma Education Initiative includes free resources designed to increase the skills and knowledge of educators, instructors and coaches about asthma management in schools and various children and youth focused environments.
Asthma resources include Kits tailored to children and youth focused settings. Developed in partnership with the Ontario Lung Association they include the following:
- Creating Asthma Friendly Schools Essentials Kit (principals and educators)
- Creating Asthma Friendly Schools Community Awareness Kit (educators, parents, and students)
- Creating Asthma Friendly Child Care Centres Kit
- After-School, Sport and Recreation Settings Asthma Kit
In addition, resources include the following (*electronic and limited hard copy versions available):
- **New in 2018: Management of Asthma at School Tip Sheets for all members of the school community (administrators, teachers, students, parents/guardians) to create and support asthma friendly schools
- A refreshed version of the Managing Asthma In Our Schools video
- Creating Asthma Friendly Schools manual
- Creating Asthma Friendly Environments for Children and Youth manual
- Creating Asthma Friendly Child Care Centres manual
- Asthma in Schools: What Educators Need to Know brochure
- Asthma and Physical Activity: What Physical Educators and Coaches need to Know brochure
- The Basics of Asthma, Allergies, and Anaphylaxis Fact Sheet (available in 2 sizes)
This year, Ophea is developing additional resources including an online e-module for all members of the schools community to increase awareness and knowledge of managing asthma in the school setting; expected release date is Spring 2018.
The resources from the Asthma Education Initiative are also available in French as Éducation sur l'asthme.
For additional resources and supports to increase the awareness and knowledge of educators regarding asthma management in schools, visit www.asthmafriendly.ca.
Ophea's Asthma Education Initiative is funded by the Government of Ontario in support of the Ontario Asthma Plan.
Partners: The Asthma Society of Canada and The Ontario Lung Association