Asthma Education Initiative
Ophea's Asthma Education Initiative includes free resources designed to increase the skills and knowledge of educators, instructors and coaches about asthma management in schools and various children and youth focused environments.
Asthma resources include training supports:
- Implementing Ryan's Law and PPM 161: Ensuring Asthma Friendly Schools e-Learning module. This module is designed to support school staff in understanding and applying Ryan’s Law in their school to ensure the safety and well-being of students with asthma. It also supports the implementation of PPM 161: Supporting Children and Students with Prevalent Medical Conditions (Anaphylaxis, Asthma, Diabetes, and/or Epilepsy) in Schools related to students with asthma
- Exercise and Asthma Video (NEW)
- Managing Asthma Video (NEW)
- Ryan’s Law and PPM 161 Video
- Signs of Worsening Asthma Video (NEW)
- Understanding Asthma Video (NEW)
In addition, resources include the following:
- Management of Asthma at School tip sheets for administrators, teachers, students, parents/guardians
- Creating Asthma Friendly Schools manual
- Creating Asthma Friendly Environments for Children and Youth manual
- Creating Asthma Friendly Child Care Centres manual
- Asthma and Physical Activity: What Physical Educators and Coaches need to Know brochure
- The Basics of Asthma, Allergies, and Anaphylaxis Fact Sheet (available in 2 sizes)
The resources from the Asthma Education Initiative are also available in French as Éducation sur l'asthme.
For additional resources and supports to increase the awareness and knowledge of educators regarding asthma management in schools, visit www.asthmafriendly.ca.
Ophea's Asthma Education Initiative is funded by the Government of Ontario in support of the Ontario Asthma Plan.
Partners: Asthma Canada and the Lung Health Foundation.