The purpose of this guide is to promote an open dialogue within the school community about recreational and medical cannabis, to address questions and concerns, and to foster a whole-school approach and shared responsibility when dealing with situations involving cannabis.
The Cannabis Education: Activate the Discussion guide is meant to be used as a companion to Cannabis: What Educators Need to Know, and Cannabis: What Parents/Guardians and Caregivers Need to Know information sheets that support educators, parents, guardians, and caregivers to have informed conversations with students about cannabis. It’s recommended that educators read the Info-Sheets and know the facts before using this guide.
The guide includes practical tips to consider before leading a cannabis-related conversation with a group as well as questions and prompts for discussions among teachers, teachers and students as well as teachers and parents, guardians and caregivers.
During conversations it may become apparent that more information is required about cannabis or substance use to inform educators and parents/guardians/caregivers to support students in making safe and healthy choices in situations involving cannabis. Consider referencing the following resources for additional information:
- Talking Pot with Youth – A Cannabis Communication Guide for Youth Allies, Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addictions, 2018
- Guide to Facilitate Discussion about Youth Cannabis Use in Your Community, Canadian Center on Substance Abuse, 2016
- The Effects of Cannabis Use during Adolescence, Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse, 2015
- Health Effects of Cannabis, Health Canada, 2017
- Parents: Help your teen understand what’s fact and fiction about marijuana, Canadian Centre on Substance Use and Addiction, 2016
Additional resources are available in the Cannabis Education Resource Database section of the website.